Friday 22 May 2015

Pedaling Chopin Waltz No. 19 in A minor, Op. Posthumous

Frederic Chopin

When considering ways to pedal Chopin’s ethereal A minor Waltz, I think back to Stephen Hough and his teacher’s comments about the learning process: “I don’t care how you’re playing the piece now, what I care about is how you’ll play it in 10 years.” (Gordon Green)

Well as a segue way to this posting, I will admit to having a time-nurtured set of revelations about interpretation as well as pedaling the Romantic composer’s masterpiece. Certainly, my current pedaling choices, different from those offered in 2011, are not set in stone and are subject to experimentation and variation. That’s what musical growth is about for students of all levels. And we must constantly remind ourselves of our eternal student status with its attendant learning horizon expansion. (The creative process has no bounds and always preserves an opening for new thoughts and ideas to filter in)

Having opened with no apology for my flux of ideas pertaining the Chopin’s A minor Waltz, I still offer my latest pedaling practices, with a webcam directed at my right foot. Hopefully, this will be a springboard for those embarking on a common, Chopin inspired musical journey.

A good reference for pedaling techniques of all varieties is Melanie Spanswick’s excellent blog on the subject:

http://melaniespanswick.com/2015/05/19/perfect-pedalling/




Original Content: Pedaling Chopin Waltz No. 19 in A minor, Op. Posthumous

No comments:

Post a Comment