Wednesday 5 August 2015

Live review: Slipknot + Lamb of God, Xfinity Center, Aug. 4, 2015

1035x740-Slipknot-9
Jim Root and Sid Wilson of Slipknot, by Matthew Shelter/Rolling Stone

Slipknot + Lamb of God
Xfinity Center, Mansfield, MA, Aug. 4, 2015
RollingStone.com
August 5, 2015

Much to my surprise and delight, my debut writing about music for Rolling Stone, to which I'd previously contributed a sizable Doctor Who feature last fall. I'm grateful to Hank Shteamer, former TONY compadre and now fellow TONY veteran, for the chance to write about the two mainstream metal acts I respect and enjoy the most, and had last seen together at Ozzfest in 2004 at Jones Beach.

Two other bands played on this bill. I'm sorry to have missed Motionless in White because of horrific traffic headed out to Mansfield after the freak hail storm that ran through Boston on Tuesday afternoon, but I did see Bullet for My Valentine.

That band played a solid, charismatic set, one much better received by the portion of this audience that saw it than was the only BfMV show I'd seen previously -- when the group opened for Guns N' Roses at Hammerstein Ballroom in 2006. A thankless task, one presumes.

As always, there are things that I reckon I could have done better with more time, but I'm happy with this fair representation of what went down last night. And as someone whose serious interest in music journalism/criticism began to show during a period of clipping reviews out of Rolling Stone in the '80s (so much Loder!), pasting them into scrapbooks, and trying to imagine what albums called Metal Box and Movement and Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) might sound like, it's truly an honor to earn this particular byline.



Original Content: Live review: Slipknot + Lamb of God, Xfinity Center, Aug. 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment