Wednesday 30 September 2015

The Anatomy of a Scale

If you want to pick your brain, ultra-analyzing a scale: finding symmetries, asymmetries, reciprocals, common tones with common fingers, upside down, inside-out relationships between the hands, and anything else that will solidify it, you might add an extra few senility-proof years to your life. Example: I can't remember my neighbor's first name, or my best friend in high school, but I can dissect all scales in the Circle of Fifths (Major and minor), taking them apart piece-by-piece and putting them back together in the holistic sense, guaranteeing their well-being in all tempos.

As an example, I offer my latest dissection of Ab Major, bestowed by a generous donor from the piano student population, whose interest in advancing  micro-exams of scales produced a mega-analysis  beyond his wildest dreams. And in this essential post-mortem, I posted a homework assignment for the accident-prone pupil: Chart the 4-octave spree based on all the nit-picky relationships fleshed out in the attached video.

Once accomplished, he must diligently practice the scale, enlisting faith and determination, combining all the brain/brawn power necessary to resurrect it.




Original Content: The Anatomy of a Scale

No comments:

Post a Comment